Wayne Rooney vows to stay at Derby County despite financial problems

Derby County boss Wayne Rooney has reiterated he will not walk away despite the Championship club being placed in administration.

Business advisory firm Quantuma took over the club on Wednesday, triggering an automatic 12-point deduction.

Asked whether he would have taken the job if he had known about the financial problems, Rooney said: “I doubt it.”

“I will fight for the club. I wouldn’t leave the staff in the lurch. They need someone to lead them,” he added.

The 35-year-old coach was put in charge following the departure of Phillip Cocu in November 2020.

He was confirmed as permanent manager two months later.

The Rams secured their Championship status on the final day of last season.

Wayne Rooney and Derby in crisis

They have won two and drawn four of their eight league games so far in 2021-22.

But they were being subject to a transfer embargo which meant Rooney was only able to recruit free agents.

He only found out about the club going into administration from television reports.

And he said it was “disrespectful” that owner Mel Morris had not informed him personally.

“I’ve not spoken to Mel since 9 August,” said Rooney.

“He addressed the players on Tuesday. I was in that (meeting) but nothing else. No phone call or message.”

“Mel doesn’t have to apologise to me but as manager, getting questions from players and staff and not being able to answer, I was a bit hurt by that.”

“There is a way of handling things, and being open and honest – that didn’t happen which is disappointing.”

“Am committed to this football club. I grew up on a council estate in Liverpool and I know how tough life can be.”

“For me, I care about the players and the staff.”

“What kind of person would I be if I walked away and put my feet up or went on holiday for a few weeks?” Wayne Rooney added.

The 12-point deduction by the English Football League has left the Rams at the foot of the Championship on minus two points.

They are currently nine adrift of safety, and they could be docked a possible nine more in relation to charges over their accounting practices.

Juliet Nalukenge joins U20 Women’s national team camp

Written by 

Herman Nnyanzi 'The Analyst' is a Ugandan multimedia sports journalist who started his career in 2017. He has a genuine strong love for sports and expertise, especially football. Contact me on +256704472629 or +256786403603

Related posts

Leave a Comment