Mane set to miss World Cup due to injury

Sadio Mane is not yet out of the World Cup, despite reports suggesting that a reported tendon injury in his Bayern Munich side’s 6-1 Bundesliga win over Werder Bremen on Tuesday would cost him the tournament.

The Senegal forward appeared to be involved in a relatively innocuous collision with Werder defender Amos Pieper during the first-half, but with his country’s first match of the Qatar showpiece in just 12 days time, it was reported that – according to L’Equipe – Mane’s issue would be enough to see him miss out.
However, Bayern’s official report later on Wednesday said that whilst the forward would miss Saturday’s game with Schalke, there would be further tests to see the extent of the injury. They also added that they are in contact with Senegal’s medical staff.
“Sadio Mane has suffered an injury to the head of his right fibula in FC Bayern’s 6-1 win against Werder Bremen,” The Bayern statement reads.
“Africa’s Footballer of the Year will miss Saturday’s game against Schalke. Further examinations will follow in the coming days.”
“FC Bayern is also in contact with the medical staff of the Senegalese Football Association.”
Bayern boss Julian Nagelsmann had initially said of the injury post-match: “It’s an unpleasant spot, it radiates a bit into the muscles.
“I think he has to go to the X-ray to see if there is something there because it is splintering easily.
“But I hope that nothing is wrong. I can’t say anything for sure yet.”

Mane was part of the squad which competed in Russia four years ago, the Lions of Teranga missing out on a place in the knockout stages despite collecting four points from their three fixtures.

Nevertheless, Senegal are due to travel to Qatar in far better shape to make an impact after they won the Africa Cup Of Nations last year.

Mane is also Senegal’s top goalscorer in history, contributing 34 goals from 93 appearances, and has netted 11 times in all competitions since moving to the Allianz Arena in the summer.

ALSO SEE;

Vallecano edge Madrid in their first loss of the season

Written by 

Herman Nnyanzi 'The Analyst' is a Ugandan multimedia sports journalist who started his career in 2017. He has a genuine strong love for sports and expertise, especially football. Contact me on +256704472629 or +256786403603

Related posts

Leave a Comment