The World Cup 2022 statistics are very interesting due to the fact that Qatar is a special host country that puts a lot of money into the organization.
A World Cup in the summer months is common, but in Qatar there is extreme heat. It will therefore be the first ever football World Cup in the winter.
With just 28 days, the Qatar tournament is the shortest World Cup in 44 years.
The 1978 global final battle in Argentina lasted 25 days.
Today we have brought you the interesting facts about the World Cup qualifying phase.
- 163,000 fans had gathered in 1977 to watch the World Cup qualifier between Brazil and Colombia.
- 871 matches have been played towards the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- 807 goals were scored in 278 matches in the 2018 World Cup qualifier. This is an average of 2.9 goals per match.
- Mexico has played 175 qualifying games, more than any other Concacaf team. The Mexicans have played 16 finals.
- 55 European countries can qualify for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. That is one more than the previous edition, because Russia was then automatically placed as the host country.
- 40 teams in Africa are divided into 10 groups in the race for a World Cup ticket. The group winners will advance to the third qualifying round, of which the five winners will go to Qatar.
- 40 countries from Asia are divided into 8 groups towards the World Cup 2022. 12 teams will receive a ticket.
- 31 goals in one match is the record during the World Cup qualification. The great Australia won against American Samoa in 2001, without conceding a goal.
- Archie Thompson scored 13 goals in the Australia – American Samoa match in 2001.
- Cristiano Ronaldo scored 30 goals in 38 games in the qualifying rounds for the World Cup.
- Brazil has played 21 World Cup finals. The country is also the only country that has never missed a World Cup.
- 11 teams from South and North America have attended at least one World Cup; Panama, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Canada, Cuba, Mexico, USA and Trinidad and Tobago.
- 11 countries compete in the Oceania World Cup qualifier, of which only one can qualify.
- 10 goals in one match have been scored for the first time by Hungary. Greece was defeated 11-1 in 1938.